Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Art of Lying

"Truth will set you free." (John 8:32), a phrase from the Bible which struck a chord the first time I read it. There definitely will exist something very similar in other religious scripts as well, after all, it is all about 'Nirvana' in different perspectives.

Whatever the scriptures says, I can vouch, if 'truth' is the only one thing that sets a man free, then I wont ever be a free-man. Because deep down inside, I know, I have lied, I am lying and I will lie. By lies, I don't mean only the big scandalous ones, but the small every day things. From the nod of the head, when asked by mom, whether I cleaned my hands, the days I crashed on to the dining table straight from the school ground to going of for a three month tour of the Indian Capitol, in pretext of an internship. The people to whom I lied in this scenario, my folks. Now, my folks are not the only ones to whom I twist my words.

I do the same to the lady who sells cigarettes outside my office, after buying one cigarette and giving a Green Gandhi in exchange. She asks for the 5Rs, I have a ten inside my wallet, but I nod my head and say 'No'. The same gets repeated in different scenarios, different places, but the nod always the same.

I think, I  lie to get around a thing, without actually having to address it or face it, maybe to make life easier, maybe not to hurt a loved one, maybe just to fool a foe, but the bottom line is, I LIE. My lies are not to hurt anyone, my lies don't deal much with anyone else, it doesn't in the normal course of action becomes detrimental for another being, but everything said, I STILL LIE.

Another fact I realized was if the people concerned are dear ones, then the lies comes all the more naturally with a flow. With just acquaintances and mere friends, I speak blunt, not caring about hurting them with my callousness. But for the much loved ones, twisting a line to make it pleasing for them is my specialty. I don't give bad-information to people, but I am an expert in omitting a line which might disturb a character I love. All said, I still am clueless why I lie, but I know, I DO LIE !!

3 comments:

  1. have you ever considered what the nature of truth is? its not 'true' that you lie, cos that which u present becomes the truth at that frame of time....twisted way of looking at it, but 'truth' is always simple, neither is a lie...and the demarcation is never a clean straight line....and its gets very cloudy when the dear ones are involved....nice post...made me smile when i read it and i lie too, all the time....y tell the truth when it is not appreciated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satyam Api Priyam Bruyat, Na Bruyat Satyam Apriyam!
    Which means: One should tell the truth in a pleasant manner, one should not tell the truth in a manner which is likely to create unpleasantness.

    The point is that you are conscious of your lying - and if your conscience ( the one and only, the last resort, the court of the final verdict, the God, the Everything) says what you are doing is wrong - if you cool enough, don't lie. And when you don't lie, when you say what you should - there! Then you will feel the caress of truth, the freedom, the exhilaration of truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First an impressive thing to be candid as you were in the Post. There are many who eulogise virtues and sneak different in real life. They claim much.
    Interestingly as the quote below says-

    We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. --Alexander Solzhenitsyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...