Monday, September 26, 2011

September !!

September 16
20 Years back, on the hospital bed, with my leg plastered, the first time I broke my bone, in a series, which is still on the climb, pain is all I remember. I had tried my biking skills as a seven year old on the Priest's old bike. The bike fell on ma leg and ended severing couple of veins and bones on left feet. Blood and pain, my thoughts from childhood about my birthday. Maybe, the womb was much safer a place than earth as if birth in itself was a painful experience, I still hold it against my birthday.
 
My hands were shaking, ran a good fever and I knew I had to get home, cause if I fall sick in Hyderabad, I would probably be sent in for a bone density test, just like my roomie for shivering hands during a fever. I hold no high esteem of the practitioners of Hippocratic Oath here in Hyderabad. Ran I, towards home, shaky, cold and in pain. I turned 27!!

September 22
7 Years back, a morning when it drizzled, as it always does in the 'God's Own Country', I boarded down from a bus at the Convent Junction Bus Stop in Cochin. There was my backpack with a bottle of water and a notebook and an excitement of not knowing what lies ahead. The tales I have heard were not comforting, but what fun will life be, if it was all comforts. It was my first walk of a series during 10 semesters of magnanimous life, learning law and what-not !!

My health wasn't at its peachiest form, but then I couldn't stop the craving to appear before a court-room, to speak. There were friends from those 10 semesters wearing the black gown of justice, squeaking, squealing, meowing, growling and some even commanding and one such close friend gave me the chance to present his case, a 'Revision Petition' at the High Court. In normal language, it means, I have to ask for a revision of the judgement of the court with a lower jurisdiction, from the High Court. 10 sentences between me and the Judge, and 4 dictations from the Judge to the stenographer and it was over. There was no adrenalin rush, there was nothing exciting about it, but then I could sense the smart mongrel lying inside me, lying in wait for the next question from the Judge, to answer it the way he wants to hear it. And I made the Court and the Judge laugh, by making him repeat the Order again, "your lordship, pardon me, but I couldn't hear you !" and they laughed at my moot-court manners. Thanks to autobiographies, it was a piece I picked about someone big in a court room and it came helpful. Make the  Court Laugh, I scored !!

3 comments:

  1. First, I wonder why you have been a rare visitor on the Blog.

    To see the 'womb' as a safer place than the world outside- I can see a lot of matter in the observation , fit for many blogs.

    The anecdote you referred, the court room drama , antics , what ever , must have been interesting to watch.

    I was very fascinated with Earl Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason series, though it never fancied me to chose law as a profession. Not even as "The Court of Last Resort".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anil - i myself aint sure why i never visited my blog..guess one of those patches where the mind never copulated :)

    loads to catch up from the blogger world..a month of events and observations and thoughts :)

    Perry Mason somehow made me imagine a Bond 007 type of lawyer, smart and stylish..though i have read only about a 6 of the series..Practicing Law, I guess I was always fancied..not after reading Gandhi, but more of the Servai, Sorabjee & Palkivala kind, pure brains and logic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Osu,

    Perry Mason is indeed for the Lawyers with the swagger. A fascination like the Bond.

    Guess you have read Palkiwala's , "We The People"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...